Time between trains? 7.5 minutes.
Why are the costs for light rail more expensive than bus rapid transit?
With light rail, we have to build the tracks and the cement bed. We don’t want any utilities underneath it so they will have to be moved (I know from other projects this can be expensive!), electrification substations and finally an underground tunnel will be built at Victoria and King in Kitchener to go under the regular train tracks. Should there be a multi-model station there in the future (that means Via-rail, intercity buses, LRT and buses, car park) this would be an underground stop.
Light Rail Vehicles cost 4.5 million but last 15 to 25 years
Buses are half that price but only last 10 to 12 years.
While the operating costs of rail is high in the beginning in the long run it is cheaper because there is one driver to many cars while buses have one driver per bus. Also fuel costs for diesel will rise again and light rail is electric. The electric can be changed to sustainable sources as is done in Calgary.
- RT @ChantalHuinink: Had a grand time on the grand tour of ShelterCare. So excited for the opening at the end of the month https://t.co/lwL3… 1 day ago
- Heard him on Farwell. He is not sure yet but loves the hill twitter.com/yvonnefern/sta… 1 day ago
- RT @newyorkerhumor: Today’s Daily Cartoon, by Teresa Burns Parkhurst. #NewYorkerCartoons https://t.co/uorGDYF6kf 1 day ago
Join 3,179 other subscribers
- 35,576 hits
- My Mother’s First Husband Went Missing In WW2. He is Found.
- The Answer isn’t Only More Homes for the Homeless.
- Banning Books, Banning Controversial Topics, Shutting up your Enemies is not Freedom of Expression.
- No Country for Only White Men: The Dewdney Murals
- Waterloo Region Crime Prevention Council: Death By Politics.